Saturday, September 1, 2018

Use Those Journal Cards (A Step-By-Step for MCS)



(This tutorial was first published on the My Creative Scrapbooks blog.)

Today I'm sharing a fun travel page, assembled using the July main kit from My Creative Scrapbooks. And believe it or not, the page was created with only two sheets of patterned paper: one for the background and a second for everything else!


Now I'll tell you exactly how I did it!

First, I gave my background a little spritzing with 2 colors of mist-one light, one dark:


Then I strategically cut a rectangle slightly smaller than my photo, in the exact spot where I would place the picture.

I placed my photo exactly where I wanted it to end up and pencil marked its outline:


Then I cut inward approximately 1/4 inch from the pencil marks, removed and flipped the rectangle of paper:


Now I had a rectangle of green print, the reverse of my background page. I thought it would make a great photo mat, but, being slightly smaller than the photo itself, I needed to place it off-center or somewhat askew as shown below:


Next it's on to fussy cutting. The sheet of travel journal cards holds so much potential; they just needed to be set free! So, after cutting apart each of the rectangles, I fussy cut various elements from them: the globe, heart, airplane, and camera. Then I created banners from some of the other pieces. 


 As you can see, even the smallest of scraps came in handy for the upper banner:


When I cut apart the map-print heart and phrase below it, I was left with a stencil which I used to cut a second heart for my page:


With baker's twine, I assembled my banners, gluing the flags on the upper banner, but punching holes and threading the twine on the lower one. Other details were added, including the fussy cut airplane and enamel dots.


 That second cutout heart became part of a cluster that overlaps the photo:


And finally, a title was created with the kit's alphabet stamp set:


Here it is again, all from two sheets of paper and elements from My Creative Scrapbooks July main kit. 







No comments: