Monday, June 18, 2012

Dine Around The World-Dessert Style

When Kevin was a baby, we took a trip to Walt Disney World one summer, and all seven of us squeezed into a cabin at the Fort Wilderness Resort. It was a really cool place actually. The kids got a kick out of the Murphy bed in the living room. It was pulled down from the wall every night, with Tommy and I as bookends and Kevin in the middle. The other four kids settled into the bedroom, girls sharing the double bed and boys climbing into the bunks. It worked. We loved the peace and quiet of the area with no banging doors or noisy hallways to keep us awake. Well, it WAS quiet until the free-roaming peacocks started up their cawing. Thankfully the beautiful creatures slept at night.

But the greatest amenity and the real reason we chose to stay in the cabins that year was the kitchen. With the full-sized refrigerator, microwave, stove, dishwasher, coffeemaker, and cabinets full of equipment, we didn't have to rely on expensive Disney dining. And we didn't have to worry about finding food that the baby would eat. We also didn't get to do things like Dine Around the World. At least not that year.

 

When I first heard of this idea, to dine in bits and pieces from one end of Epcot's World Showcase to the other, it sounded like an awesome plan. It was something I wanted to do when we vacationed at Walt Disney World last spring. We could get this and that, sharing and tasting all sorts of ethnic fare. Unfortunately, the rest of my crew wasn't impressed with the idea, so that evening in Epcot after eating regular dinner fare, I persuaded them to try the mini Dine-Around, desserts only. It wasn't hard to convince 11 year old Kevin! He eyed up the Chocolate Mouse Cake a couple of days earlier and couldn't wait to try it. I wasn't quick enough with my camera though and the only pictures I had to scrap were of him scraping the crumbs from his plate. Dine Around-Desserts...what a cool idea!


Churros in Mexico, School Bread in Norway, and Strawberry Crepes in France rounded out our dine-around. Next time, we go all out. :)


13 comments:

Mary Pat Siehl said...

super layout! love the paper

Tammy said...

Fun layout! I love the Paris and travel images. I think I'd enjoy desserts around the world too! That's a fab idea. I'll have to remember this the next time I'm at EPCOT. And the peacocks? There are some wild flocks all around Orlando. You'll be driving along in a neighborhood and have to stop to let the peacocks cross the street. Too funny.

Danielle said...

Cute layout, and such a sweet idea to try!

Loni said...

Fun story and cute LO!

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

You chose the perfect embellishments for this wonderful page! I'll have to check out the dine around when we go to Disney. :)

hilde janbroers said...

gorgeous layout!!

Mary Jo said...

Love your layering at the bottom.
Such a fun layout!
And that sounds cool.
I really want to go to Epcot someday and like the idea of trying things from each nationality :)
I think my kids would definitely go for the desserts, too :)

Elisa K said...

awesome layout.. I love the cluster of goodies you used.. thanks so much for sharing... hugs

laura said...

Great layout for epcot worlds, also yummy idea on variety of desserts.

Sylvie said...

Great page, Madeline! Love your mix of lines, here!

Erica said...

My son will be old enough to enjoy Epcot the next time we go. I can't wait! Great layout!

Unknown said...

YUM!!! Now I want to go back to Epcot and have some food! Sounds soooo yummy!

scrapper al said...

I love that you still snapped photos, even though the dessert was gone (sometimes I worry too much about getting the perfect photo). You can still tell the story, or maybe it is an even better story since you know that the dine around the world dessert tour was a hit!