Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Day In The Life Pie Chart

In creating today's layout, I first had to work out a little word problem, much like those you dreaded in math class back in elementary school.
If a complete circle represents an entire day, 24 hours, then how many degrees equals one hour?  Answer: 15 degrees.
(See kids, you do make use of that math education later on in life...and I even used one of your old protractors to measure my triangular pieces of patterned paper.)


I figured this would be a fun overview of my 12 year old's daily life, so I wanted the chart to give a fairly accurate representation of a typical day during the school year. Activities such as eating, sleeping, and swimming were each given a different colorful patterned paper, and the amount of time spent doing each was approximated and translated into pieces of the pie. Since sleeping and school were huge portions, I grouped them together and overlapped their pieces with my photo.
 


In keeping with the clean bright colors of this page, I decided to use pen-stitching in place of inked edges to accentuate the various paper pieces.


Most of the papers used on this layout are features of Scraptastic's Hall Pass kit, but you might recognize a few papers from the last two month's kits. Scraps from Just Beachy and The Story Begins were included to give me a good mix of bright colors and patterns. I love how great the woodgrain paper looks behind those word bubbles.

What do you think of this trend? Have you incorporated a pie chart on a scrapbook page of your own? Do you have plans to try it yourself?



18 comments:

Mary Jo said...

What a gorgeous layout!
That pie chart is just fabulous!
I would love to put a pie chart on a page, but for some reason am intimidated.
Seems like so much work (lol)

Heidi said...

Where do I start? I love the "schedule" for a day in the life, and the pie chart was an awesome idea. Great page, love everything about it!

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

Awesome idea! I love that you even included a key!

Mary Pat Siehl said...

oh my golly i love this!! what a totally fun layout

Margie said...

Love it! Gorgeous page!

Jingle said...

This is SUCH a great layout! I love it!

antenucci said...

Love your layout - amazing details!

Melissa said...

This is the most original and absolute funnest layout I've ever seen! I adore it completely.

Miss Kathy said...

Love this. Might have to borrow the pie chart ideas for my granddaughter.

Tammy said...

This is an amazing layout! So fun. I love the bright colors and the pie chart. I have downloaded one from the silhouette store. When it comes to trends it usually takes me many months before I even think about doing it. But I will probably try this. Eventually. :)

Jennifer Grace said...

Love this layout - especially the key! It's a great way to document your son's daily life! I hope you don't mind that I pinned this for future reference! x

Sue Althouse said...

I love the colors on this page, and what a fantastic idea! You really put lots of thought into this to get it accurate, I'm impressed!

NC Peach said...

This is such a creative and cool LO! Love the key!

Margie Higuchi said...

This is fabulous - my oldest would be just eat, sleep, computer...repeat! LOL! What a wonderful idea :)

Susan Stringfellow said...

totally one of my fave layouts of yours! Great job

laura said...

I absolutely love this layout. Very creative with the pie chart.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! How awesome is this?!!? i am so impressed at how you worked out all the details :)

Tracy said...

This is such a fun layout. It would take me weeks to complete this.