Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Lighter Side

My last two pages with Scraptastic's Faded Jeans kit combined many of the lighter papers. For the page below, a contrasting background was needed to balance out the dark photo taken after my son's graduation. I loved this pattern from Authentique, as the stitched-look design reminded me of star-bursts or fireworks. This was a celebration after all; Chris had graduated summa cum laude!


For a moment I considered stitching over the paper design but ultimately decided to add a trio of festive pinwheels. The pinwheels take advantage of the beautiful double sided paper, which I also used behind the photo and as a strip underneath. 


My final project for today highlights a tinted heritage photo taken when my mother was but a teen. The subtle colors of the papers I chose compliment the soft colors in this hand colored photograph.


Growing up, no one in her family called her by her given name, Dorothy, nor the shortened version, Dot. No, they gave her the nickname "Mickey", after the newly penned character created by Walt Disney. Isn't that funny?! I'm sure at the time, no one would have suspected that the little mouse would come to have worldwide renown and be the iconic symbol of an entertainment empire. I have a couple more questions for my mom before completing the journaling on this one. I wonder who first gave her the nickname and why. Future generations might also have this question so I don't want to leave it out!

Have you scrapped any old photos recently?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

these are great! I especially love the second one! SO lovely!

Susan Stringfellow said...

love the pinwheels but that layout of your mother is fantastic! Just such a perfect design and I love that background. You have to tell us more about her name, that's just very cool.

I am actually scrapping a kind of old photo right now. Its just from around 95, but Alex was so little. I need to pull out vintage photos though.

Sylvie said...

I adore the layout of your mother. So pretty and with a great story!

Kimberly Kett said...

Both layouts are so pretty! TFS :)